Cats love to scratch things! Anyone who’s ever taken care of a cat knows this.
However, sometimes that scratching habit leads to damage to furniture and more.
This can be avoided if you do a little homework to understand why your cat likes to scratch and how to direct that desire in a healthy way.
Getting the right scratching post is one of the biggest things you can do to keep your cat happy while saving your furniture.
But, how do I choose the right scratching post for my cat?
Have no fear, TailTalez is here to guide you on every step of your cat scratching journey.
Why Do Cats Scratch?
Let’s start with the basics: Why do cats scratch things?
Cats don’t just scratch because they want to, they actually need to!
Scratching is normal and healthy feline behavior for multiple reasons.
- Expressing Emotions: scratching often is a way for cats to express emotions like excitement or stress. Having a good scratching spot gives them a safe space to regulate their emotions.
- Marking Territory: Cats have scent glands in their paws. By scratching a surface, they spread their scent or pheromones, thus marking their territory
- Claw Maintenance: Getting a good scratch in works like nail filing for humans. They’ve got to keep their claws nice and maintained!
- Exercise: Scratching provides cats with an opportunity to stretch their legs and work out their muscles.
Considering all the reasons scratching is necessary for cats, you’re probably starting to understand how important it is to make sure they have the right surface to scratch!
Choosing the Right Scratching Post
Because cats meet many of their biological needs through scratching, it’s important that you get a well rounded scratching surface, maybe even a few.
This is especially important if you have more than one cat!
Think back to the fact that cats mark their territory by scratching.
If you only have one scratching post for two cats, one of the cats really has no other option but to scratch up a chair or couch.
There are four important factors to consider when picking out scratching posts.
- Height: The taller the scratching post, the better stretches your cat can get in. It also results in more surface area for them to scratch and spread their scent.
- Sturdiness: If your cat’s scratcher is constantly falling down or breaking when they use it, your cat might get bored with it or, even worse, become afraid of it!
- Variety: Cats love variety! Giving them a variety of surfaces to scratch will ensure they are entertained and get what they need.
- Interactivity: Nobody said practical things can’t be fun too! Cats love a scratching post that comes with some interactive features, like hanging feathers or toys.
With all of this in mind, here are a few of our favorite scratching posts for cats.
Best Vertical Scratching Post
In terms of tall, sturdy, scratching posts, we haven’t found anything that beats The Ultimate Scratching Post.
Standing at 32 inches high and wrapped in a durable, woven sisal fabric, this scratching post has definitely earned its name!
The base is 16 by 16 inches, guaranteeing your cat can scratch to their heart’s content without ever tipping it over.
If you’re looking for a tried and true scratcher, this is the one!
Best Horizontal Scratching Post
When we talked about variety earlier, we meant it!
Cats love a tall, vertical surface to scratch on, but they also want to scratch horizontally.
To save your carpets and tabletops, get your cat this horizontal scratcher.
By having both a horizontal and a vertical scratcher, your cat will be able to scratch at any angle they please!
Best Interactive Scratching Post
If you want a scratching post that has a little bit of everything, look no further than this interactive scratching post.
It is tall, stable, and has three different little plush balls to keep your cat engaged for hours on end!
If your cat really likes toys, but you don’t have time to play with them as much as they’d like, this is the perfect scratching post for them!
Now, For a Silly One
While your cat’s happiness is the priority here, you’re also allowed to have a little fun for yourself while picking out the scratcher.
There are a number of themed cat scratchers out there, but this cactus cat scratcher takes the cake!
Not only does it hit on multiple must haves for cat scratchers, it also just has such a fun look to it!
If you’re looking for a unique cat scratcher to add to your arsenal, look no further.
Which Scratching Post is Best?
We hate to break it to you, but there isn’t really an answer to this question!
While your cat might pick a favorite, the “best” scratching post has yet to be invented.
The best approach is to have a variety of scratching posts that match the categories we’ve laid out for you.
Even if you only have 1 cat, you should have at least 2 to 3 safe surfaces for them to scratch.
Giving your cat options will keep your cat happy and your furniture safe!